Monday, April 27, 2015

Richart Sowa Lives On An Island He Made Himself From 150,000 Plastic Bottles...

No man is an island and very few of us
have one of their own but eco-architect Richart Sowa knowing full well he'd never have the money to buy one, decided to make his own.
Out of 150,000 air-filled recycled plastic bottles, lots of wooden pallets and sand.
He's build a three-storied house that has all the mod-cons he desires and a little ferry raft also made from plastic bottle to ferry himself and his supplies to and from the shore.
Power comes from a land based solar system, he has a composting toilet and the desire to grow his own vegetables and to be self sufficient
Named Joyxee, the island moored off Cancun in Mexico is Richart's third island, his story is here and the British born Robinson Crusoe didn't find his Girl Friday by her footprints in the sand but on a social media site.
How things change but nothing changes...


10 comments:

  1. Such a good idea. Oh man, I can see/hear the reaction if I built one of those on the Broads here in Suffolk UK!!! I'd love to though!!! That would go down like a lead balloon with the "authorities"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just call it a boat Joel, the authorities would never know...

      Delete
  2. Good way to beat real estate taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think of all the plastic bottles I recycled when I could have been building my own island it makes me sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet he got the girl to clean his composting toilet .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richie must have known the quote of Richard Bach: "You're never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true". And he must have kept believing the thruth in these words through all the years. What a wonderfull story and idea. I believe such a thing never would happen in Denmark where I live. This island is far to anarchistic to the Danish way of thinking. I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Hanne. You don't have a dream without the power to make it happen. A great belief to hold onto. Richard Bach has been one of my favourite authors, dreamers and do'ers.
      A man for all seasons. And for many reasons...

      Delete
  6. I bet he didn't ask for advice from any naysayers. Just went ahead and did it. My kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val I think the idea is to start with a tiny raft using a few plastic bottles and a wooden pallet, then let it grow, plant a tiny tree, sit on it with a fishing rod and probably the authorities wouldn't notice...

      Delete
  7. I've been reading about him for years. He finally got the girl to go with the (newest version of the) island! A happy update.

    ReplyDelete