Thursday, August 21, 2014

All That Glitters Is Often The Most Ostentatious...

All that glitters is often very ugly.
But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
If you happen to be wandering in the vicinity of the ultra posh Wellesley Hotel in London's Knightsbridge, and I know a lot of you will be, you'll probably see this ostentatious display of wealth parked outside.
It's the Mystere, one hundred and fifty pounds worth of Range Rover but with a few optional extras from the German bling company Hamann.
I won't go into the details but it's seriously gold.
The Saudi owner had it flown over to use
while in London.
And when the ashtrays are full,
he'll buy another one...

10 comments:

  1. Well its certainly ostentatious.......is that what you call bling? I don't think I'll go out of my way to see it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this thing really necessary? Why not just ride in a taxi and help the driver make a living? Shipping it all the way from Saudi Arabia and for what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gold is very malleable. An ounce of gold can cover a lot of square feet when applied as a thin coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the difference between this car and the gold gilded horse drawn carriages of the Queen. The are both aristocratic. And the masses get the shafted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... If were still a scruffy Brit Punk heading down the Pub in me clapped out Skoda, I can't fink of a better target for a Crash and Dash!
    When me mates down the Pub heard about it, I'd go from Zero to Hero with the crunch of a fender and the dent of a door...
    I'd be swimin in free booze... with hot women all over me.... Yeah.... I'd be living like a Saudi Prince!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too tacky!! I'd rather have my little Volks convertible that is cuter & stingy with gas. Guess the next thing to expect is some tasteless Arab to have a grill of diamonds & emeralds.

    ReplyDelete


  7. Don't laugh, your gas hogs may not be as ostentatious, but they paid for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous, that's exactly right. What's more, some of those gilded carriages at least have the merit of being works of art, thus providing jobs for local artisans (just a little message from our sponsor). Whereas that piece of motorized golden grossness is just a tasteless display.

    http://www.pondjumpersspain.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/munich_germany_and_salzburg_austria/Schloss_Nymphenburg_Palace_carriage.jpg

    How's this for a nice art car, or tiny home? I figure I could make quite a lot of it in papier mache.

    ReplyDelete